The Medical Council of India, by the MCI Regulations on Graduate Medical Education, 1997, made it mandatory for all medical colleges to establish Medical Education Units (MEUs) or departments in order to enable faculty members to avail modern education technology for teaching.
Medical Education Unit (MEU) was established in 2011 in line with the recommendation of Medical Council of India to oversee, improve and improvise teaching methods and also totrainteachers so as to impart quality education to the students.
Objectives of the Medical Education Unit
- To create awareness amongst the teachers regarding the principles of medicaleducation technology.
- To initiate teachers to evolve educational strategies so that the lacunae existingin the present system could be minimized.
- To disseminate knowledge and allow diffusion of activities to other institutes.
- To target both teachers and students, as they are the most importantconstituents of theeducational process.
- Promote educational research
- Facilitate this learning process to other similar professionals
|For Revised Basic Course Workshop (RBCW), Sensitisation workshop for AETCOM and Curriculum Implementation and Support Program (CISP) since 2015||JIPMER, Pudhucherry|
|For Advanced Course in Medical Education||CMC Vellore|
Faculty of Medical Education Unit
Dr. M. Anbarasi, Professor and Head, Department of Physiology
- Dr. S. R. Nirmal, Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
- Dr.M.Suresh,Professor, Department of Pathology
- Dr.G. Rajkumar, Professor and Head, Department of Paediatrics
- Dr.P.Vijaiananth, Professor, Department of General Medicine
- Dr.R. Manoj Kumar, Associate Professor, Department of ENT
- Dr.V.C. Suresh Chander, Professor and Head, Department of Microbiology
- Dr. K.R. Arunkumar, Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy
- Dr. T. Dhineshkumar, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy
- Dr.Divya. R, Associate Professor, Department of Physiology
|Number of Faculty members who have undergone Advanced Course in Medical Education (CMC Vellore)||5|
|Number of Faculty members who have undergone Revised Basic Course in Medical Education Technologies and AETCOM Workshop at the nodal centre (JIPMER)||10|
Curriculum Committee Members
- Dr.MaragathamaniElangovan, Chairperson,Dean, Department of General Surgery
- Dr. K.R. Arunkumar, Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy (preclinical faculty)
- Dr.M.Suresh, Professor, Dept. of Pathology (paraclinical faculty)
- Dr.G.Rajkumar, Professor, Department of Paediatrics (Medicine & allied disciplines)
- Dr. S. Manojkumar, Associate Professor, Department of ENT (Surgery & allied disciplines)
- Dr. M. Anbarasi, Professor of Physiology, MEU Coordinator
- Mr. Aravind. S, Final Year MBBS, Student Representative.
- Conducting MET and AETCOM workshops regularly for faculty
- Conducting MET AETCOMworkshops regularly for PGs
- Conducting CISP workshop for the faculty
- Conducting short Faculty Development Programs
Workshops conducted in the campusunder MCI Observer
|Type of workshop||Dates||MCI Observer|
|CISP Workshop||22th – 24th July, 2019||Dr. Sivaraman (JIPMER)|
|RBCW and AETCOM||23rd – 25th March, 2018||Dr. D. Kadambari(JIPMER)|
|Basic Course Workshop||13th – 15th November, 2014|
|Basic Course Workshop||19th – 21st November, 2014|
|Basic Course Workshop||26th – 28th November, 2013|
Publications from the faculty in Medical Education
- Anbarasi, M.,Rajkumar, G., Krishnakumar, S., Rajendran, P., Venkatesan, R., Dinesh, T., &Venkidusamy, S. (2015). Learning style-based teaching harvests a superior comprehension of respiratory physiology. Advances in Physiology Education, 39(3), 214-217.
- Pitchaipillai V, Thangavel D, Venkataraman R, Muthusamy A,Rangan V, Jayabal M. Knowledge and practice regarding the role of media in class room teaching-learning among the faculty of DSMCH, Perambalur, India. Int J Res Med Sci. 2015; 3(11): 3331-3336. doi:10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20151186
- Rajkumar G, Anbarasi M. Time management among first year medical students. National Journal of Physiology. 2019; 7 (2): 2-8.
- Dinesh T, Karthikkeyan K, Anbarasi M, Charumathi V, Sakila S, Evaluation of the effectiveness of early clinical exposure in learning clinical examination skills among preclinical students. Indian J ClinAnatPhysiol 2019;6(2):153-157